Friday, July 11, 2014

Freaky Friday - Barbaric Beauty

"Hush now Helen and sit still! Just breath normally.
Don't you want beautiful blushed cheeks for the dance tonight?!"

Source info - "The Forties Glamour Bonnet promised a rosy complexion by lowering atmospheric pressure around the head, mimicking the effect of a brisk walk in the mountains."


Fran was more of a fuss free kind of gal, and wore her circulation mask often for lovely fresh skin.


Source info - "Launched in July 1940, this spooky headdress could be plugged in and switched on to heat the face and head, the aim being to stimulate circulation, leaving skin looking fresh."



Jean cursed herself for not paying more attention to shaving her legs before
her visit to the salon. The coils were painfully plucking out every rogue hair on her leg.


Source info - "'Slenderising salons' in the Forties had all manner of weight-loss treatments, from full-body wraps to chairs which massaged your legs with metal rollers."



"Not tonight Jonathan. I have my Face Harness on!!"



Happy Friday!!



All but last image via thedailymailuk
Last image modernmechanix

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these are certainly freaky Donna. There is some seriously weird stuff going here! Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane! If I'd been round back then, I would probably have tried the leg roller thing (anything to avoid actual physical exercise) but there is no way on earth I'd be donning one of those mask/oxygen things. I'd rather pop on some rouge and be done with it! Hope you have a great weekend too. xx

      Delete
  2. Honestly, that circulation mask is frightening. I kept expecting to see a ball gag come into play at some point. These were super freaky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ba ha ha Dana - the ball gag - ala Pulp Fiction. I agree!
      If anything, I think that Circualtion Mask would be bad for your face/head to be heated up in such a way. It's a Friday 13th style electric blanket for your face! Horrid.xx

      Delete
  3. It certainly takes me a while to get ready for work, but I can take on an armed knight if one dropped by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol MMMC. Yes, you could!!
      Can you imagine wearing that harness overnight? Bloody awful. Wonder how many gullibles bought that one back in the day.xx

      Delete
  4. I'd rather go for a "brisk walk in the mountains" myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Kylie! Knowing me I'd pass on the walk too and slap on some Moisturiser and hope for the best. Xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...